Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Moving the Birds - Part I

When it came to moving to our new home, there were five things for which extra care and planning would be crucial:

1)  Coco
2)  Strider
3)  Penske
4)  Bucky
5)  The Grand Piano!

It turned out the piano was an easier project than anticipated thanks to two men from a local company, Piano Emporium, and some amazing high-tech equipment.  The boards creaked as the piano made its way across the laminate flooring.  With specialty furniture cups to protect the floor, the piano was lowered into place in a lovely spot next to the window.  I've enjoyed playing nearly every day, and the living room has fabulous acoustics.  

Whew - one down, 4 to go!  

Now, time to focus on moving the feathered noise makers!

Given that Coco lives cage-free, I knew that any amount of time behind bars was going to result in her beak being out of joint.  So, I wanted to expedite the process as best I could.  However, it became clear that she would need to spend one day in a make-shift set up while her Fort was being moved and reassembled.    

The moving truck arrived bright and early, empty and ready to be loaded with furniture, the majority of boxes and Fort Coco.  In preparation, Coco was transferred to her Main House with the custom designed screen door put in place.  Despite being somewhat entertained by the busy-busy humans disassembling the remainder of her Fort, she was not a happy camper.  The screen of the Main House is certainly not beak-proof, but during her two hours of incarceration she never tried to rip or chew the screen.

At the last minute, she was transferred to a traditional bird travel-carrier and the Main House was loaded onto the moving truck.  She said goodbye to the beautiful mountains that had been her home for 13 years, and we began the 20 minute drive to a new adventure.  The window scenery in the new bird room is not quite as spectacular, but she still has a wonderful view of the rolling mountains, trees and plenty of outdoor birdie friends to watch and hear.  

Upon arriving, I set up a make shift table top perch using a wooden wine rack turned sideways.  This sufficed until the Main House arrived.  Then she comfortably hung out on the external perch, with food and water placed inside, for about one day before the entire Fort could be reassembled.  

Stay tuned to read more about Coco's transition to her new diggs and the Budgie-Boys' move!

COPYRIGHT ©2009-2012: 
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED on my personal postings and images. 
They cannot be copied, re-worded, edited and posted elsewhere without my permission. 
Thank you.


Arlene said...

Your house looks great Robin. Let us know how they all settled in. :)

Margaret with Monsters said...

Can't wait for the rest of that story!
Margaret with Monsters

Post a Comment