Monday, January 18, 2010

A New Behavior for Coco


Friday's post contained a video showing Coco raising her foot when she was ready to receive a treat. She does not receive a treat until she signals me that she is ready. Then I reach for the next treat. Or, I may ask her to "shake", say a word, or some other behavior or interaction.

Sunday, she surprised me with a new behavior. She raised her foot for the first treat, but left it up in the air while she was eating. When she finished the treat, she just looked at me... foot still up in the air...

I gave her another treat, and her foot remained in the air. So I pulled out a new treat and presented it to her while she was still eating. She finished eating the treat in due course, and then took the new one from me. Her foot continued to remain up in the air! This is a new behavior for her.

I got the distinct impression that she wanted those treats to come at a steady (or perhaps quicker) rate since she continued to hold her foot up. This went on for about 2-3 minutes while we were interacting and the behavior was repeated on two separate occasions. If I am able to catch it on video, I will upload it - I think you will enjoy seeing this new behavior!

Now, who has who trained - really!
















COPYRIGHT © 2009 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

3 comments:

Marianne said...

I see your training is coming along nicely. If she wants it faster, she signals by not putting her foot down at all. Smart little trainer you have. Maybe someday she will train you in how to speak parrot.

Eriisu-chan said...

"Who is training who here?"

My Tango once said "come 'ere!" to me, so I did, and when I got there? He CLICKED at me! He clicked at me and say "ohhhhhhhhhh" the SAME way I usually say "Gooooooooood" after clicking.

It was hilarious!

Arlene said...

Coco is just one smart little cookie isn't she.
She figured out that it saves time and effort if she doesn't put her foot back down.

Keep up the good workd Coco. Robin will get the hang of it. :D

Post a Comment