Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Birdie Crock Pot Surprise

No, we won't be cooking the birds, we will be cooking for the birds!

The topic of today's post is legumes, a wonderfully nutritious addition to our birds' diets.
Tomorrow, I will once again make my way to a favorite place, Earth Fare, an organic grocery store. There, I will be scouring the aisles with bird nutrition in mind. Once home, I will begin the process of making a special dish to be served at the Fort Restaurant:

Birdie Crock Pot Surprise!

After it has been prepared, the BCPS will be frozen in ice cube trays. (For the Budgie-Boys, their cubes will first get a few rounds in the food processor to create a mash.) This will enable me to pop a mash cube into a ziplock for the Budgie-Boys, a regular cube into a different ziplock for Coco, and allow them to thaw in the refrigerator prior to serving. I may microwave for just a few seconds to take the chill off of them (but not to 'heat' them), yet stirring thoroughly to ensure there are no accidental hot spots.

What do you think...

Sprinkle with some cooked and cooled cous cous?
Sprinkle with some crushed nuts?
Served with a delicious side of Birdie Bread?

There are many possibilities!

Some of the dry beans I have in mind:

  • Adzuki
  • Lentils
  • Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans)
  • Navy Beans
  • Northern Beans
  • Black Beans
  • Lima Beans
Who knows what other beans I might discover to include! I plan to buy as many different varieties as possible, storing them in mason jars, allowing me to make each batch unique. This will provide taste and nutritionally variations in batches.

I will also pick up up some brown rice to include in the mix, and check out the fresh, organic produce section. Perhaps some zucchini? Sweet potato chunks? Ochra? Thus the name, Birdie Crock Pot Surprise! Each will be a surprise!

So, everyone who has a bird and a crock pot - consider joining me in making your own version of Birdie Crock Pot Surprise! Once I've gotten all my goodies into the kitchen, I'll be taking pictures and including a general recipe and instructions.



COPYRIGHT © 2009 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmm, now you're making me hungry. Give me a call when it's done cooking and ready to serve. :) Your birdies are blessed to have such a loving and caring Mommy.

I can just see their cute little smile, as they dig in. Hmmmm, do birdies smile? Yes, I'd like to think that they do.

Thanks for sharing. And thanks for the ideas.

Arlene said...

Be sure you come back and tell us how it went over.
I have a feeling the boys are going to like it.
What about red or kidney beans?

wolfgirl1987 said...

Mung beans are always fun :)

louara said...

Wow, can I make a reservation at Restaurant Fort for me and my budgie?
I have given her green and yellow beans, she likes to get the beans out of the pods.
Can't wait to read your boys review, my girl just might like this.

Robin said...

I'm getting the kitchen ready... I bought 16 different kinds of beans!

Arlene said...

Hah! I couldn't think of 16 different kinds of beans if you paid me. Let alone find them in stores.
This is getting exciting. Can't wait to find out how the boys like it.

Post a Comment