Thursday, December 3, 2009

Beans, Beans, Beans !

I am stocked up!

Front Row, Left to Right:
Black, Split Green Peas, Pinto, Great Northern, Green Lentil, Azuki


I hit the jackpot at the organic grocery store!
In addition to a large carrot, a medium sweet potato, and some Golden Rose Brown Rice, I found 16 different types of beans and peas!

The dry beans/peas I selected:

Chick Peas
Red Lentils
Navy Beans
Lima Beans
Pinto Beans
Black Beans
Azuki Beans
Mung Beans
Green Lentils
French Lentils
Black Eyed Peas
Green Split Peas
Yellow Split Peas
White Kidney Beans
Great Northern Beans
Red (Dark) Kidney Beans

Left to Right:
Red Lentil, French Lentil, Yellow Split Peas, Azuki

Wow - more varieties than I envisioned! I also picked up buckwheat groats for the Budgie-Boys seed mix and raw walnuts for Coco.

Hmmm... what combination shall I choose for this batch? Several? Or, a few of each?

The beans, peas and golden rose brown rice will be soaked overnight with an equal amount of water. (The water will be absorbed.)

In the morning, I will add cut up carrot and sweet potato. The mix will remain in the crock pot on high for about 4 hours.

After cooled, the Budgie-Boys' portion will get a few whirls in the food processor before being frozen in ice cube trays. Coco's portions will not need to be pureed; she likes her beans chunky!


Oh, one more important detail: the 16 types of beans and peas, rice, walnuts, buckwheat, a medium sweet potato and one large organic carrot cost:

$17.05 !

As you can imagine, this stash will go a long way and is good for both birds and people!

Stay tuned for more pictures as the Birdie Crock Pot Surprise comes to fruition!


COPYRIGHT © 2009 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

4 comments:

Mary H. said...

Neat.

I love how colorful all the different varieties of beans are!

Mary

Arlene said...

Wow! A bean bonanza. It all looks so fresh and colorful.
So the boys get theirs mashed up right?

Robin said...

Yes; after it is cooled I will take the portions that will be frozen for them, and zip them a few times through the food processor to puree them. Then spoon it into the ice cube trays. For them, I'll add some cous cous probably and maybe a little seed to attract their attention. ;) I believe it will be much more palatable to them after it has been whipped just a tad bit in that food processor.

Jim Stewart said...

Cool! Nice assortment. Looking forward to hearing how they like it. I'm betting we'll hear you got two talons up from all of them.

Post a Comment