Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Signs of the Old Coco?


I saw some very interesting signs of the "old" Coco emerging this evening!

These came in conjunction with the vacuum cleaner. The vacuum cleaner? Yep!

Every night the big black machine comes out. It has traditionally been a time of vocal frolic. However, tonight she broke ranks and gave me vocalizations that I have not heard in months! These were not words or phrases, but "birdie noises". Just what I recognize as 'I am happy', 'I am a bird', 'I am thrilled to be competing with that loud bird you are pushing around the carpet' noises!

Initially, I did not even realize the significance of what I was hearing. It was going in one ear and out the other. I was happily cleaning, following my routine, when suddenly...

I stopped in my tracks. I was several feet from her, and vacuuming "her area", when my brain registered the sounds I was hearing. Over the past several months during vacuum time she has vocalized... 'hello', 'pretty bird' and more, but I have not heard the simple joyous jungle sounds that I know signify she is having an unadulterated grand time.

In addition to the happy birdie noises I heard tonight, she also approached me as I was sitting on the floor and twice climbed up on my knee. (She was well rewarded for this impromptu behavior.)

I do not think (but do not know for sure) that the time change was the determining factor. Because as I wrote in my last post, the time change did not affect the number of hours of darkness and daylight. But, what does seem potentially more significant is that we are nearing 2 months of added dark hours, and the nights have become naturally cooler. There have been several nights that I have had to turn on the heater in the bird room to take the chill out of the air. However, I have not made it excessively warm. The average bird room temperature during winter evenings is 60 to 63 degrees.


So, whether a fluke or a trend, it was a nice evening. I have to believe that if I consistently implement my plan, including scheduling of daylight and darkness, working on our basics for treats, and having positive interactions, that we will continue to experience positive progress.

To me, hearing those happy birdie noises in competition with the vacuum, defines more progress toward restoration of her former nature than any step-up for a treat could ever reveal. It was a happy day for both of us.






COPYRIGHT © 2009 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

3 comments:

Jim Stewart said...

Good news!

louara said...

That's great to hear! Vacuums always seem to bring out the best vocalizations in birds

Arlene said...

Well will you look at Coco showing off her colors.
As if the vacuum isn't loud enough why do they always have to out noise it. Out noise?
Well at any rate that's great news from Coco Land.
Incidentally, that's a great picture of you two. :)

Post a Comment