Monday, October 26, 2009

Eating Healthy

Dear Robin:

I have a little 4 year old girl that I adopted. She is really wonderful. Smart, active, healthy, happy, and very verbal for her age. She loves to play with toys, and plays well with others. She seems quite well adjusted overall.

There is only one problem - she really doesn't like vegetables. No matter what I do, she simply refuses to eat them! She would sit and stare at them all day long if I let her. There is nothing I can do to convince her to incorporate more healthy foods into her diet - nothing! Before I adopted her, she really had a poor diet - she was allowed to eat anything she wanted. So you can understand I am in quite a pickle.

So tell me - - how can I make her eat her vegetables?


Signed,

Desperate Mom


===================
Dear Desperate Mom:

Just as I couldn't make you eat something you don't care for, we cannot make our little ones eat something they don't want either. I understand - sometimes we just want to pull our hair out!


But what we can do is expose our little ones to a variety of different foods. And encourage, encourage, encourage! While she is already 4 years old, it is never too late to start good eating habits!


So, one thing you may want to consider is the manner in which you offer the vegetables and other healthy food choices.

First, do you set her a good example by eating healthy?

Second, do you experiment and vary the manner in which you present her vegetables?

  • Perhaps mix (hide) them in something she likes?
  • Change the method of presentation (raw, cooked, diced, sliced, lightly tossed in some healthy oil)?
  • What about muffins with some shredded carrot and/or shredded zucchini? You would be amazed what you can hide in baked goods from healthy grains to fruits, vegetables and even finely chopped nuts. Muffins and other healthy baked goods are usually winners with the little ones!

We mothers need to be quite creative in convincing the little munchkins to eat healthy. But, it is well worth the effort!


Whatever you do - do not let her in on the list of vegetables that you refuse to eat no matter how they are presented!


Finally, I am sure that you do not give her snack foods when she refuses to eat a well balanced meal?! I sure hope not!


Good luck - and keep trying! I know sooner or later you will be successful!

Oh, by the way - I must ask...




What
mutation is your little girl?? !!




COPYRIGHT © 2009 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

1 comment:

Arlene said...

I was wondering the whole time I was reading it...is she talking about a human child or a bird child. Come to think of it, that would work for a human. :)
Excellent!

Post a Comment