Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Enjoying Grains and Veggies

I have received a number of questions on the boys (budgies) love of Beak Appetit, how much they eat, how far it goes, how I make it and store it, etc. So - of course, a few pictures! (When my sister gave me a digital camera for my birthday 3 years ago, she had no idea how much use I would get out of it!)

The container I purchased holds about 4 oz, and the instructions are to cook it in the microwave in the tub provided, store in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze. This does not seem practical to me, and I prefer to serve it freshly cooled, so I take a different approach.

The mix comes in a plastic bag, and I use a small amount for each meal served.
A handful (approximately 2 -3 tablespoons) is more than ample for the 3 boys.

I then seal it back up.

Enough water to float it is added, and then it is microwaved for about 1-2 minutes.

It then sits until it is completely cool. Any remaining water is drained off prior to serving.

Now comes the fun part! Watching them enjoy it!

Strider loves to grab a favorite piece and then run away with it, eating it in complete privacy. Penske, Mr. Shy Guy, is usually last to dig in, but he still makes sure he gets his fair share! You would think this was pure millet the way they go for it!

Oh, and check this out - Bucky is finally getting some flight feathers!


Of course, Strider is not the only one who will get a choice veggie and sneak away to eat it! Strider is just to the left of Penske, almost out of the picture eating his stash in a private area.

They almost look like they're posing!
Over the next few weeks I will be adding a variety of frozen, thawed, pureed vegetables to the mix to add even more variety and nutrition.



COPYRIGHT © 2009 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

1 comment:

Arlene said...

Good little birdies. Don't you love when they really go for something that's actually good for them.
Thanks for the tip and how to make it.

Good luck with the vegetables. Sometimes mine will see some foreign food and run like it's going to eat them. Silly budgies.

Post a Comment