Monday, June 22, 2009

On Borrowed Time

Specifically, this old computer...

is on borrowed time...

as in perhaps hours!!

It all began with a toxic, plastic-y smell and just a tiny bit of "smoke" last evening that apparently has something to do with a fan thing-a-ma-jigee inside the computer that is no longer 'fanning'. It was quite a nasty smell! Apparently the fan inside serves a fairly important function.

This computer is running on a Windows ME (yes, I said 'ME' as in Millenium, as in 1999/2000 vintage) operating system, so it was only a matter of time.

It has seen a lot of hours, and has served me well. But all good things must come to an end, and I think this computer only has hours to get its affairs in order!

It has not gone without note that having a husband who builds fabulous bird forts, and is also an electrician, has been quite convenient.
Presently, the 'box' is open with an external fan blowing on it for circulation - hopefully long enough for me to get this post completed and download all the files that I care about to a dear friend's FTP site.

Yes, he had everything electrically under control, that was until...

In the midst of all of this, I picked up a fully cooked roaster chicken at the store, brought it home and put it in the oven (250 degrees) to rewarm. So far, so good.

While dear husband was working magic cpr on the computer dinosaur in an attempt to enable me to create this very post, I was in the kitchen unsupervised!

If you are thinking I am about to get myself in trouble, you are right...

I was supposed to know that the plastic caddy housing this roaster chicken, and the cardboard handle with a label and picture of this delicious bourbon chicken, could NOT be put in the oven?

I don't know how I could have known.

I am devastated to report that, while I had my heart set on bourbon chicken, it was contaminated by the melting plastic. It only needed to be reheated, but when the cardboard wrapper caught fire, it sort of made the chicken a bit too crispy for my liking.

Note to self: in case of flames, keep oven door closed.

So yes, I got a lecture about usage of ovens, and plastic, and cardboard, and... and... and...

Ok, I get it...

I am sure that the instructions on the outside of the roaster said it was ok to put it in the oven. Given the melted plastic container and the burned up cardboard, it is just my word against... a melted plastic container with a scorched, unreadable cardboard handle. I still say there was no warning that it couldn't withstand a little re-warming in the oven...

In the meantime - I'm signing off to make myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It does not require an oven.

Yes - I'm on probation. I cannot use the oven for one week.

Darn...

My next goal?

I'm angling for a way to get 'prohibited' from using the washer and dryer for a whole week! Woo-hoo!
COPYRIGHT © 2009 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

4 comments:

Arlene said...

Oh you poor thing. Okay, time for a brand new computer. Yippee!
I have to admit that the chicken story was funny although I'm sure it wasn't at the time.
You just had the computer and all your files on your mind right? Gotta save everything you can before it self-destructs.
Now for the washer and dryer...hmmm...

Goldielover said...

It doesn't take much to gunge up a fan, and they are such pet hair magnets. I open up the cases of our computers from time to time to blow all the dust and cat hair out, and make sure the fans are running freely. Last time I smelt that dreaded burnt plastic smell (well, with regards to the computers) was when my daughter's machine blew its power supply. I was a bit concerned it had fried the motherboard too, but that was unaffected. Luckily, not an expensive repair, and it only cost me $40.00 for a new power supply, and about thirty minutes of my time to install. Given the age of your machine, it doesn't sound like its worth repairing, unless your husband is capable of doing the work himself. Time to go new computer shopping!! Shame it couldn't have held out just a bit longer - Windows 7 is due out later this year, and from what I've seen in playing with the beta and release candidate versions, should be an improvement over Vista (which I loathe). It never hurts to invest in an external hard drive for back ups, either. I have a 1 Terabyte external drive most of my important files are backed up to. Makes an easy way to use files on the other computer, too, as it connects via USB and can easily be moved from one computer to the other. Your computer had a good long life, anyways. I finally retired a 98SE machine 18 months ago after nine years of very hard use. It still works, and we keep it as a back up in case either one of the newer ones go down. And neither one of the new ones has been anything like as reliable as the old one was.

Pippin'smom said...

Oh Robin...I'm glad you're okay, but that was hysterical! Best to you with getting your washer and dryer privledges taken away..and when you do please do pass along your technique.:)

Marianne said...

REALLY. you need to go on the comedy circuit. You are absolutely hysterical. I am, however, sorry to hear about the computer. :(

Post a Comment