Saturday, April 11, 2009

Predictability

As you recall from my April 9 post, a trip to the dentist was on the agenda! Under normal circumstances, this would have brought about a certain level of anxiety. However, I had lost all emotional attachment to #19 many days earlier.





"And if thi
ne eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee..." (Matthew 18:9) Let's face it... #19 had become an offense to me, and its demise could not come soon enough.

"It's a boy!" exclaimed the dentist, after the 7 second process of removing it from my grateful mouth. It seemed to draw quite a crowd as it was passed around to two others standing guard in preparation for the possibility that #19 had planned a mutiny. Like a train wreck, I found myself unable to look away; one last good riddance to the cause of my pain and trouble.

I would like to think that the birds knew I was not myself this past week. But we can never know what birds are thinking! Instead, we focus on observation of their behavior, in the context of stimulus and response, avoiding the temptation to assign human emotion to their actions.


We do know, beyond a doubt, that birds are excellent studiers of behavior. The skill serves them as well in the wild as in our homes. To the extent #19 caused a change in my routine, body language or habits, I believe the birds noticed. Our every move comes under careful scrutiny!

Observing the environment is an important part of Fort life. Most especially, my behavior! Do I live in a fishbowl? You bet! Let me change my hair style or my nail polish... nothing goes unnoticed!

While Coco seems most keenly aware of my patterns and habits, all of the birds pay close attention to my activities. They may appear otherwise occupied, but let me move toward the treat jar or open the toy cupboard, and I have their undivided attention!

Knowing that my body language, habits, activities and patterns are observed, I consider them in the context of providing my birds the ability to predict my behavior. Inasmuch as I observe their body language in an attempt to predict their behavior and improve our relationship, I would like them to be able to accomplish the same! This is an important part of Fort life. The birds' ability to predict my behavior is part of the empowerment process.





COPYRIGHT © 2009 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

1 comment:

clifff123 said...

It's a boy lol

Post a Comment