Monday, April 13, 2009

Night Light, Night Fright

Who's the brightest star tonight? That would be me! Strider!

For those not versed in budgie genetics (that would, by the way, be my companion), I am a male yellow face, type 2, sky blue budgie. That 'type 2' part is what makes my belly so irresistibly beautiful! My yellow base color mixes with the sky blue to create the seafoam green. You should see me gleam in the sunlight!

I will admit, I am the newbie around here. I will also admit that I am
technically the smallest. These facts, of course, mean nothing... any guesses on how fast I can fly? Like... faster than a speeding budgie! When you consider my stealth speed, boyish good looks and naturally high self-esteem (if I do say so myself), let me just say that I can hold my own around here!

One of my favorite hobbies has got to be dive bombing the parrot to knock her off the perch. She is so easy.... she may be a bird, but she certainly cannot play a good game of 'chicken'! (I learned from some cardinals I hung out with at a feeder shortly after running away from home. Once the cardinals left, I took on a crow. Gosh, it was as easy as taking a worm from a hatchling!)

As fun as this can be, I recently discovered my true passion:
staring at my reflection in the mirror! I could do this all day, and just sing, sing, sing! Especially on the days we listen to nature cd's. The thunderstorm one really brings out the Budg-arotti in me!

But I must take a moment away from the mirror to tell you of a recent incident. Here it was in the middle of the night, when all good birds should be dreaming of a House of Mirrors, when suddenly Sammy had a night fright! This is the first one since I've been here!

Night frights can be more common in smaller sized birds than larger, and in younger birds than in older but, goodness knows that at any time, any one of us could be tormented by the nightmare that the government has shut down all the millet farms!

So in the stillness of the night, Sammy started flapping. Coco immediately came off her perch and down to the ground. My companion flipped on the light and picked up Coco (who was fine, but just being a drama-llama). However, Sammy was actually still half asleep. His tail was spread, and eyes open, but it was obvious he was still traumatized by the idea of never having millet again.

Naturally, I just sat there calmly, wondering if the lights would stay on long enough for me to check out my neck spots. She wisely stayed several feet away from Sammy and spoke softly to him. He was calm, but if you approach before he is back to himself again, it just makes it worse. After a few minutes, he turned, and seeing a spray of millet hanging in his cage realized it was just a bad dream!

Thank goodness, once again, lights out... after all, even the most handsome still need their beauty sleep, right?!
Readings on Night Frights:
Explanation of Night Frights
Cockatiels and Night Frights
Night Frights

2 comments:

eriisu-chan said...

My cockatiel was a tad different, he had (I think) two night frights, and both times he didn't calm down until I opened the door to his cage and gently put my hand in. He perched on it right away and pretty much ran to my chest for comforting... poor little thing. It's a good thing mama was there with her kisses and scritches!

Robin said...

What an excellent example of knowing your bird and reading body language! Not to mention, thinking on the 'fly'! You were willing to try anything, to think outside the box as needed, to find the thing that brought him to calmness! I know for a fact, that he is one lucky boy!

Post a Comment