Friday, April 10, 2009

Can you say "Pretty Bird"?

I have to say - I am not terribly keen on having my picture taken. Yet - my left profile is still looking pretty good for an old man, yes?!

My name is Sammy, and I am 28. Being the senior psittacine around here has its advantages. Gosh, if I even act a little sluggish (and who wouldn't on occasion at my age), you should see the fuss that ensues around here! But trust me, that can backfire. If I am not careful the next thing I know there is a flashlight up my cere. You can't appreciate the importance of keeping a low profile until you've had my mom and her flashlight in your face... scare-eeey....

Most days, the Fort is a pretty noisy place, but we all have a blast. Everyone stays in their appointed areas, generally. Recently, the newbie Strider, got the bright idea to help himself to my food bowl. Can you believe that? I'm guessing his momentary lapse in judgment must have resulted from a batch of fermented millet. Let's just say, 'we' now have a better understanding of acceptable behavior.

Strider and I spend most of our day listening to Coco's endless attempts at mimicking human speech. She is quite impressed with herself. And one might think it is cute. Trust me, after 17 'pretty birds' in a row, it is, well, not so pretty. I'm thinking, move on, already, ya know? How about a 'Four Score and 7 Years Ago', or 'I've Got a Dream'? She can whistle the first couple lines of the Star Spangled Banner, and at least that provides some variety....

Speaking of food: (OH - we weren't speaking of food???)... well, we should be because it is one of my favorite topics! For the record: my position is that I am "large boned". Well nourished, as they say.... I come from a long line of hefty cockatiels.

At one point in my youth, I was not properly preening. When my mom interrogated the avian vet, the skinny woman responded, "because he is too FAT to preen!" Well, she was fortunate the only words I knew at the time were 'Hi Sammy'. I might have been saying 'Hi Sammy', but I was meaning something entirely different!

Naturally, my feelings were hurt, so the next morning I decided to drown my sorrows in a plate of scrambled eggs. Unfortunately, it was not until I landed that I realized it was not going to be one of my better decisions...

Who puts ketchup on eggs, anyway? I was really looking forward to a few bites of egg, not a full-out morning bath. The wisdom of my years has now taught me: aim for the edge of the plate, not the middle!

(This advice does not apply to bowls of popcorn... always aim for the center of the bowl...) !

Happy Easter - from "The Sammers"!


COPYRIGHT © 2009 - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

6 comments:

Arlene said...

Who's eggs did he land on?
This is funny. :)

wolfgirl1987 said...

LOL! Such a handsome fellow, Sammy is

Robin said...

Sammers says thanks, Wolfgirl! (And, that he's not too old to appreciate the ladies!) Arlene, it was my plate of scrambled eggs... I admit - I do put ketchup on my eggs! I know, some people find that gross! :D

wolfgirl1987 said...

I find that gross, but my father and siblings do it all the time! lol!

Anonymous said...

28 that is great. Not to mention he is Adorable too. :0)

Robin said...

Thank you, anonymous... every day with him is a treasure, and while I know he won't live forever, I do hope he makes it to 29! Then I can hope for 30!

Post a Comment